Location settings and accuracy
Written bySven Nijs 23/07/2023
When you want to access your location for the first time in our cycling or hiking app, we will request permission for location access. This permission is crucial for centering your location on the map and/or using the navigation mode. If you haven’t granted this permission initially or wish to change location settings later, you can only do so through the location settings on your smartphone. Below you’ll find instructions for Android users, and further down, we’ll guide iOS users.
For Android Users
- Open Settings on your Android device: tap on the Settings app icon on your home screen or in the app drawer.
- Scroll down and tap on ‘Apps’: in some Android versions, this might be labeled as “Applications” or “Application Manager.”
- Search for the NodeMapp Bike or NodeMapp Hike app: depending on your device, you may search for the app using the search bar at the top of the screen. Otherwise, you may need to scroll through the list to find the app.
- Tap on the app and then on ‘Permissions’: you will see a list of all the permissions the app may request.
- Find ‘Location’ and enable it: you also need to choose between ‘Allow only while using the app’ and ‘Allow all the time.’ If you want your location to keep working even when your screen is off or when you switch to another app during navigation, it’s best to choose ‘Allow all the time.’
- Do you have a recent device with Android 12 or higher? Then also grant permission for the use of your Precise location, which is necessary for accurate navigation. If you do not grant this permission, you will get very inaccurate location determinations in the app, making navigation impossible.
- Open ‘Settings’: tap on the Settings app icon on your home screen or in the app drawer.
- Tap on ‘Apps’: you will see a list of all the apps on your phone.
- Tap on ‘App Launch’: a list of all the installed apps on your device will appear.
- Find the NodeMapp Bike or NodeMapp Hike app and tap on it: you can search for the app using the search bar at the top of the screen or manually scroll through the list to find the app.
- Turn off ‘Manage automatically’: you will then get a ‘Manually manage’ popup.
- Turn on ‘Run in the background’ and press OK: from now on, our app should continue to track your location, even when you turn off your screen or temporarily switch to another app during navigation.
For iOS Users
- Open ‘Settings’ on your iPhone or iPad: locate the gray gear icon on your iPhone’s home screen to access the settings.
- Scroll down and tap on ‘Privacy’: you’ll find ‘Privacy’ in the general settings list.
- Tap on ‘Location Services’: ensure that ‘Location Services’ is enabled.
- Search for the NodeMapp Bike or NodeMapp Hike app in the list and tap on it: here you will see a list of all apps that can access your location data.
- Select your desired setting: for the best navigation experience with our app, choose ‘While Using the App’ or ‘Always.’ We recommend choosing ‘Always’: this way, the app will continue to navigate even when your screen is off or when you temporarily switch to another app during navigation.
- Do you have a recent iPhone or iPad with iOS 14 or higher? Then also enable the ‘Precise Location’ option: this is necessary for accurate navigation. If you do not grant this permission, you will get very inaccurate location determinations in the app, making navigation impossible.
Possible Causes of Inaccurate GPS Localization
While correctly setting location permissions is essential for an accurate display of your location in our app, there are other factors that can influence the precision of GPS coordinates. Weather conditions, such as heavy clouds, can weaken the GPS signal.
In addition, physical obstructions such as tall buildings or trees can block the signal, reducing location accuracy. The type and age of your device can also have an impact, as newer devices often have more advanced technology for picking up GPS signals.
We recommend keeping your device up-to-date and using it in an environment with minimal obstructions for the best location determination. Despite these possible influences, we strive to provide the most accurate location determination possible with our app.